To be eligible for graduation with an associate degree, diploma, certificate, or career studies certificate from a Virginia community college, the student must:
- Fulfill all of the course and credit—hour requirements of the curriculum with at least 25% of the credits acquired at the college awarding the award;
- Be certified for graduation by the Academic Divisions and Enrollment Services/ Registrar;
- Earn a grade point average of at least a 2.0 in all studies attempted which are applicable toward graduation in their curricula;
- Meet any other competency requirements established by the College; and
- Resolve all financial obligations to the College and returned all library and College materials.
Assessment of Student Achievement
Students may be required to participate in one or more assessment activities designed to measure general education achievement and/ or achievement in selected major areas prior to graduation for the purpose of evaluation of academic programs. Results obtained in this context will remain confidential and will not be used to identify individual students. The College also reserves the right to exchange student information with area high schools and senior institutions for the sole purpose of improvement of the College.
Second Degree or Certificate
When awarding an additional degree, diploma, certificate or career studies certificate, the College may grant credit for all previously completed applicable courses which are requirements of the additional degree, diploma, certificate or career studies certificate. However, the awards must differ from one another by at least 25% of the credits.
Graduation with Honors
Students who have fulfilled the requirements of degree, diploma, or certificate programs (with the exception of career studies certificates), are eligible for graduation honors.
Appropriate honors are awarded based upon the student’s cumulative grade point average recorded one semester prior to graduation (fall semester GPA for spring graduates and spring semester GPA for summer graduates) as follows:
Cum Laude (Honors), 3.2 GPA
Magna Cum Laude (High Honors), 3.5 GPA
Summa Cum Laude (Highest Honors), 3.8 GPA
Mountain Empire Community College will host an annual commencement ceremony at the end of the spring semester.